Friday, June 3, 2011

Get Your Meat and Potatoes Fix

Sorry it’s been so long but today is you lucky day.  I’m going to share another awesome recipe.  But first, thanks to all of you that gave me vote (or two, or three) for my Yummy Banana Cake.  I came in first in the voting.  Now I have to wait for K over at Big K, Little a to make the final three dishes and see which one she deems more awesome.

My husband is a meat and potatoes man so I found a fabulous recipe called Potato Parmesan Crusted Beef Filet, that I’m trying to perfect for when he comes home from Afghanistan.  I sent him a  picture and he can’t wait to try it.  I found the idea for this in the Cooking Club magazine (Feb/Mar 2011).

I had some trouble finding reasonably priced beef tenderloin steaks.  I plan on splurging for the good stuff when I finally cook it for my husband.  Instead, I found inexpensive filet mignon wrapped in bacon.  I removed the bacon but the meat held the salty flavor.  It was still delicious, just a tad too salty for my taste.

What You’ll Need:
1 lb. hash browns (I find the Hungry Jack ones that comes in the carton work best.  You just add hot water and a few minutes later you have hash brown that are ready to be used in this recipe.)
¼ cup of minced onions
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp flour
1 egg, beaten
¾ tsp salt, divided
¾ tsp black pepper, divided
3 (6 oz.) beef tenderloin steaks, 1 ½ inches thick
1 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp butter

1.) Heat oven to 500 degrees.  If you are using the non-perishable hash browns (like the Hungry Jack ones shown), follow the instructions on the box to get them moist and manageable.  If you are using the ones found in the refrigerated or freezer section of your grocery store, just make sure  they are thawed.  If you are a bad mamma jamma and you are grating your own potatoes, you are scaring me, Martha Stewart, and you may need some therapy.  ;)
2.) Place moist potatoes in a large bowl along with onion, cheese, flour, and egg.  Add ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper. 
Mix well.
3.) Sprinkle steaks with remaining salt and pepper. 
Heat oil in skillet on medium high heat until hot.  Cook steaks 2 minutes or until browned on each side. 
Put on the side for now.
4.) Put ¼ cup of the hash brown mixture onto the skillet in circular form.  Place a filet on top of it. 
Repeat for each steak, cooking about two minutes or until golden brown at medium high heat. 
Remove steak and potatoes carefully with a spatula and place on a rimmed cookie sheet.
5.) Melt butter on skillet.  Add remaining hash browns.  Cook at medium high heat until golden brown.  Place hash browns onto cookie sheet as well.
6.) Bake 10 minutes for medium rare.  Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

Enjoy!  I did.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like another good one my hubby will love. I love that I can get some new recipes. Thanks...Made the egg rolls 3 times already. And my picky daughter loved the beef stroganoff dish as well as my husband. keep the recipes comin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did it take a long time to put together?

    ReplyDelete

Did I make you hungry? Have a suggestion, question, or comment? Please share.